Summer has arrived to enjoy the holidays. It is then when the holiday rental comes to mind and is that this modality of traveling to summer houses as tenants is becoming increasingly popular, because they are more comfortable and practical. It does not matter the destination, whether it is beach or mountain, since you can surely find these holiday rental houses in both places.

Therefore, in view of how popular this holiday modality has become, the Treasury has not escaped this fact, forcing it to pay taxes.

Therefore, if you own a house and want to rent to tourists, this article can be used to know how to tax the holiday rental.

How to Declare a Vacation Rental to the Treasury

To begin with, it must be known that the payment of taxes for the rental of housing will be defined according to the type of landlord you are.

That is, if as a landlord you are a natural person, then it will be applied in the “
” or the Income Tax of Individuals.

On the other hand, in the event that as a lessor you are a legal person or company, you will have to pay taxes through Corporation Tax.

Finally, we must take into account vat, which occurs when some services are provided such as those “typical of the hotel industry”.

Two Ways to Declare Vacation Rental Income

As a second home

It refers to that house on the beach or in the countryside, which is only rented for a few days or a few weeks, remaining the rest of the year at the disposal of the owners.

If it is this case in question, then a differentiation must be made between two periods a year.

  • The first refers to the time during which the property is rented,and therefore, where the income is declared as income from real estate capital.

In this period, you have to deduct all the expenses that are associated with the rental of the property,such as the
the insurance of the house, the community expenses, the commission of the real estate, the amortization, etc. It should be remembered that all expenses, including the IBI, are declared proportionally depending on the time in which the property was rented.


  • The second period refers to the time in which the house is not for rent,that is, the rest of the year.

Treasury, in this case, obliges to pay 1% or 2% for the possession of the property. Then, the cadastral value of the property is calculated 1 or 2% and the result obtained is divided by 12 and multiplied by 9. This final amount is the one that must be declared.

As tourist accommodation

This is the option for which the Treasury bets with the new law,persecuting those houses that do not use it.

The first thing in this case is that the house is registered under the designation of “tourist accommodation” in the registry of the Autonomous Community in which it is located.

In addition, it would have to be registered in the Economic Activities Tax so that this activity can be exercised.

In this modality you must pay the quarterly VAT,which is 10%, and you will have to indicate all the income that was obtained with your VAT, which will be subtracted from the deductible expense. If you are registered as self-employed,the Personal Income Tax must also be declared on a quarterly basis.

Of course, VAT will only be charged as long as the lease is under the name of tourist accommodation or complementary services of the hotel industry are provided, such as laundry, restaurant or cleaning.

However, house clothes provided at the entrance to the tenant by the tenant are not considered as a complementary service.

How Much Tax Will Be Paid for Renting a House in Summer

We have to remember that the payment of taxes for the rental of summer homes,according to the calculations of the Treasury, at least 75% of tenants do not pay them.

However, they are mandatory taxes and their non-payment constitutes certain penalties.

The Treasury is carrying out the task of supervising through pages such as, these properties that provide the accommodation service to check if they really pay said rent in the Income Statement.

The penalties can be from mild, to very serious, depending on the type of infraction within the activity.

If you want to know how the holiday rental is taxed and how to declare said income,you must know well the two annual taxes for said holiday rental that have been explained.

Do not forget that it will depend on the denomination under which the house is being rented, depending on whether it is as a second home or as a tourist accommodation. The amount is that you do not forget to make the personal income tax return to avoid penalties.